Has Your Carpet Become a Canvas?
Summer is officially over and families are settling into the new rhythms of fall. Preschools are full of budding little artists ready to unleash their creativity! Parents have a tough job keeping the carpets clean when it comes to preschoolers and Play-dough having fun with finger-paints and creating with crayons! At Steam Master we say, “Go ahead and let them express their inner Picasso!” If you end up with some of your child’s “masterpiece” on your carpet, follow the tips below to get finger paint, crayons, and playdough out of carpet.
Finger Paint Stain Removal
- Tend to the stain as quickly as possible. With paper towels, gently blot up all pooled up liquid. If there is a fair amount of paint, gently spoon up the surface layers before blotting.
- If paint is dry, gently scrape up the build up without compromising the fibers integrity and vacuum the remaining remnants.
- In a spray bottle or bucket, combine 1/2 tsp. of dishwashing soap or fine fabric detergent in 1 cup of warm water. Do not use hot water.
- During mixture application, patience is needed, as you do not want to over wet the offending stain. Apply the solution to a clean, dry cloth and blot and pat up the stain. Rubbing will spread the paint out wider and deeper. Spray the stain and blot and repeat until stain has been lifted.
- Cover the original stained area with a dry, clean cloth or towel and press down frequently to absorb remaining stain and detergents.
- Once satisfied with the result, rinse well with clear, cool water. Apply a terry cloth or towel and blot well until all access moisture has been removed.
- If the stained area turns into a brownish spot after drying, mix 1 part vinegar and 2 parts water in spray bottle, apply and blot.
Playdough Removal from Carpet
- Vacuum as much of the play dough as possible.
If the play-dough has dried out and vacuuming isn’t doing the trick, dampen a clean cloth with hot water, and place over the play dough for approximately 1 hour, allowing the playdough to loosen.
- Use a firm bristled brush and loosen the particles. Use caution and care to avoid damaging the carpet in the process.
- Using existing play dough, blot up the more stubborn playdough remnants. Playdough generally sticks to itself. You can do this until it has been lifted away.
- Vacuum one final time to ensure all the play dough has been removed.
Crayon Carpet Stain Removal
- Remove all crayon debris
- With a butter knife, gently scrape up the surface layer.
- Blot with a paper towel any remaining residue.
- With the aid of a cotton ball or a clean white cloth, dampen with rubbing alcohol.
- Mix a quart of water with 1/2 tsp. dish soap, and implement the solution onto the stained area.
- Blot the stain, and repeat until repeat until stain has vanished.
- If stain persists, apply 3% hydrogen peroxide and allow it to sit for approximately 2 hours. (Administer a patch test in an inconspicuous location, as hydrogen peroxide has the capability of lightening fabrics.)
- Blot dry.
Steam Master Carpet Cleaners Serves Newport Beach, Costa Mesa & Surrounding Local Areas
Call Steam Master Carpet Cleaners if the methods above don’t work or if you prefer to leave the cleanup to the professionals. Our technicians are trained to treat carpet stains with state of the art equipment and the proper combination of cleaning agents. Say goodbye to stains and hello to art worthy of hanging on the fridge!